Antioch, TN asked in Divorce and Child Custody for Nevada

Q: Do I need to be "friends" with my ex-husband/child's father on social media? Could this affect custody terms?

I am in the process of divorce and no custody agreements have been set. I do not want him as a friend to post or comment on my Facebook. But I can still use Messenger to let him video chat our child. Will this risk even joint custody?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Janice Jacovino
Janice Jacovino
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: You can choose who to allow on your social media, but you should be very careful what you post especially during a divorce proceeding.

Nevada prefers joint custody and uses best interest of the child factors when deciding custody. These factors include coparenting, cooperate and fostering the relationship with the other parent. As long as not being friends on social media does harm your ability to coparent and cooperate then it is fine not have him on your social media. Video and calls will help maintain the child- parent relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.