St. George, UT asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Utah

Q: I have 2 children with a man that I haven't seen in 4 years or heard from in 3 years, can I get his rights taken away?

I have 2 children with a man I was with over 5 years ago (we were never married), since then I have had 2 more kids and gotten married. We have no contact with my 2 oldest children's father and he periodically will pay some child support but still owes us thousands of dollars in back child support. He hasn't reached out about the children in the last 3 years and the last time he contacted me (3 years ago) he asked me to send some of the child support the state collected, back to him to help him get by in which I told him no, he hasn't seen the children in 4 years.

I was wondering what the best course of action would be for my family? Do we apply to have sole physical custody or try to get bio fathers rights taken?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: You could incorporate a petition to terminate the father's rights with a petition to adopt the two children if that is what your husband desires and the children are on board (if they are old enough to have a say). If your husband is not planning to adopt the children, there really is not a good reason for the Court to terminate your ex's parental rights. The courts do not like to terminate rights unless someone else is planning to adopt or the parent's actions make it clear they should have no contact with their child(ren) whatsoever.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.