Struthers, OH asked in Banking and Probate for Ohio

Q: How can I get access to my incapacitated mother's safety deposit Box

My mother had a stroke a few months ago and she gave me power of attorney but she didn't print her name and I had to get an updated one I did but since then she had an aneurysm and can't speak or talk And the bank wants to call up to the rehabilitation hospital she is in Right now i don't know why they can't give out any medical information. Me and my mother own our house together and I'm on disability and I have to pay the mortgage or me and my 16 month old are going to be homeless I just want to pay our bills and our money is in that Box please help me

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aaron Epling
Aaron Epling
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Hilliard, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If the bank will not allow access under the power of attorney, then you will need to establish a guardianship and be appointed guardian of the estate by the probate court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.