Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Ohio Banking Questions & Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Banking and Bankruptcy for Ohio on

Q: Bank took $100 out of my account after I filed Chapter 7.

My wife and I entered Chapter 7 bankruptcy just 5 days ago. 3 days ago my bank removed #100 from my checking account, and when I contacted them, they verified it was them and they took it for "processing" the bankruptcy notice. This account has been positive and current for 15 years, with no risk... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 5, 2019

The bank did not "levy" your account. The bank imposed a service charge that they (presumably) informed all their customers would happen if the customer caused the bank significant work processing the notice of bankruptcy papers they received. (BTW: Your bankruptcy lawyer should have told you... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Business Law and Consumer Law for Ohio on

Q: I was informed and given a letter that I was approved for a $60000 home equity loan but they changed the amount.

I got a letter saying I was approved for a $60000 home equity loan. The next day I was called and told that they were wrong and it was only $40000. The next day I received a letter that stated I was approved for the amount of $60000 signed by a loan officer. I was later informed they wrongfully... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 18, 2019

Do about what? You asked for $60,000 and you are getting $60,000. Where's the beef?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Civil Litigation for Ohio on

Q: If I cashed a check that I did not know what had a stoppage on it in 2015, a collection agency threatened legal action,

Can I be prosecuted under statute of limitations in 209?

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 5, 2019

Your question is unclear. If you cashed a bad check in 2015, it may be too late for law enforcement to do anything about it. But that does not mean a collection agency cannot try to collect on behalf of whoever lost the money.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Ohio on

Q: My wife and i signed up for a "membership" to venture resorts.well after presser and 4.5 hrs we sign up.Now we want out.

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 3, 2019

Bad news: Getting out of an agreement to purchase "membership" in a timeshare resort is much more difficult that getting into it was. Call some Ohio real estate lawyers.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Ohio on

Q: I have a very small in-home business and have a business checking account.

Does my bank have a legal right to go through my transactions and threaten to close my account for what is being paid. I personally separate business from personal expenses on my taxes.

Matthew Williams answered on Mar 1, 2019

You should be separating your accounts, and the back is likely within its rights pursuant to the contract you signed with them if they believe the account is being used for personal or illegal purposes. Review your contract with the bank.

2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Estate Planning, Family Law and Elder Law for Ohio on

Q: Mother is poa over grandma finances. Elderly aging serv contacted her asking for receipts.

My mother is POA my husband and myself take care of my grandmother. A lady from Elderly Aging Services came by said she had a report made. My grandmother who is 87 and still very sharp told the lady she knows everything that's been spent. My mom never kept receipts she would give me cash for... Read more »

Joseph Jaap answered on Feb 25, 2019

If a report of possible financial wrongdoing was made, then they are obligated by law to investigate and confirm that the money has been used for your grandmother. Depending on how much money has been paid to you, or how much has been spent, they could take action. Use the Find a Lawyer tab and... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Contracts and Bankruptcy for Ohio on

Q: I gave my car back to the bank.

I had recently applied for a new car loan. I wanted to roll my remaining loan over onto to new loan. My dealer at Ford told me my car was listed in a bankruptcy. About 4 years ago I had filed for a chapter 7 but we never went through with it and it was dismissed. I explained this to the dealer.... Read more »

Timothy Denison answered on Oct 20, 2018

Same answer I gave last question.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Contracts, Banking and Collections for Ohio on

Q: My car was listed in a bankruptcy the bankruptcy was dismissed because no collections came forward.

I have been making car payments since than but just recently tried to have remaining balance on my car loan rolled over onto a new car loan. The original bank that finenced me said my car was listed in a bankruptcy. Now I’m in limbo. There’s no actual car payments on my credit report. My new... Read more »

Timothy Denison answered on Sep 30, 2018

If the bankruptcy was dismissed, you still owe the debt.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Banking for Ohio on

Q: I'm being charged with criminal case by DCU Bank can Attorney help me at all with this kind of case. It is $7500

I got scammed by facebook agent for facebook grant. They talked me in to opening up an account at DCU Bank back in Nov 2017 They made deposits and had me withdraw them and send them over to Nigeria. 3 payments of $2495 total $7485 I have never heard a thing from DCU I new they closed the acct but... Read more »

Matthew Williams answered on Jul 23, 2018

First, you need to make sure you are not getting scammed again. Who called and how do they want you to pay this money back? Police and prosecutors generally do not call people and tell them to pay it back or else, they usually just charge the person. It would be a good idea to get an attorney... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Estate Planning and Probate for Ohio on

Q: i am having issues about an account belonged to my next of kin

my next of kin passed away in 2007 and there wasn't a will. Besides, he didn't have any close family. I have recently been informed about his death and the fact that he had an account in Barclays Bank.

James Jeffrey Jackson answered on Apr 2, 2018

You should contact a probate attorney in your area. You will most likely have to pay a retainer. If the Barclays account does not have significant value, it may not be worth the cost to open the probate estate.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Banking and Probate for Ohio on

Q: Is it possible for my deceased father to still own half of his estate?

My father passed in May, my brother is executor of estate. My father had transfer of death deed to the both of us for house and property. House is pending sale, my brother is saying there will be 3 checks because my father still owns half the house because of something he did with paperwork so... Read more »

Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 20, 2017

What your brother meant to say is that your father's estate now owns half the house. When it sells, half the sale proceeds will go to the estate, and then the estate will distribute it to you and your brother according to your father's will. If your brother was named on the bank accounts as a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Ohio on

Q: My elderly parents had a son abuse his POA privilege and stole from their bank account, should they report it to police?

Matthew Williams answered on Sep 18, 2017

This is really a personal decision, not a legal question. They should understand the consequence could be quite severe, if the matter is reported. And, particularly if the family is otherwise on good terms, a repayment plan and an a heart to heart may be a much better option.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Banking for Ohio on

Q: In ohio is a federal tax transcript required to get a mortgage.?

We are in the middle of a home purchase. We had to amend our federal taxes, because I forgot to include a W2 in the original return. We paid the tax due and filed the amended return but it could take upto 16 weeks for the IRS to process the return. The bank is telling me they have to have the... Read more »

Joseph Jaap answered on May 2, 2017

Lenders are required by federal law to verify income. So the lender can require you to provide a copy of your return.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Probate and Securities Law for Ohio on

Q: How can I freeze my mom bank accounts?

My mother had pass away this past Sunday ,family members are trying to take advantage, they took her credit cards check books without my permission and someone told me they was trying to write out a check and try to withdraw money from her account witch is illegal. How can I freeze her... Read more »

Kenneth V Zichi answered on Apr 26, 2017

1) Not having a will doesn't mean you don't have to go through probate. Indeed, it likely means you WILL have to go through probate.

2) Simply inform the banks your mother has died, and call the credit card companies with the same information. They will freeze the account automatically...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Ohio on

Q: what section will apply when bank cashier is refusing to payment of your check in pakistan

what section will apply when bank cashier is refusing to payment of your check in pakistan

Matthew Williams answered on Feb 7, 2015

Is the bank and cashier from Pakistan or the check? If someone refuses payment of a check in Pakistan, it an issue of Pakistani law and you will need to talk to a Pakistani lawyer about it. In general, however, banks are not required to cash checks if they can point to any reason they believe the... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.