Columbus, OH asked in Family Law for Ohio

Q: I am the defendant in an ex parte emergency motion for temporary allocation of parental rights and responsibilities.

I am the custodial parent living in NC. The father brought the complaint in Ohio. I have a deadline to answer to complaint and am wondering if i can ask for a continuace in order to retain counsel and if so how?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish
  • Delaware, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: In Ohio, filing Motions for Ex Parte Emergency child custody orders varies county to county. They are not permitted in all counties and if they are permitted parties must meet the applicable legal standard to receive such an order. When an Ex Parte Motion is granted the court is required to hold a hearing generally within 10 days to allow the other party a chance to argue why the order should not stand. When the request for order is denied the party who was denied the motion is also entitled to a hearing within the statutory timeline. An emergency Ex Parte custody order can be granted initially without the other's party's appearance. However, it may not be extended if the emergency is disproved or rendered a nonemergency matter at the scheduled hearing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.