Tavares, FL asked in Real Estate Law, Civil Rights, Land Use & Zoning and Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: What can be done if you rent from your significant other family and they force you out, threaten to call police

On 10-15/22 I was forced to leave a mobile home I had been renting from my ex-boyfriends family , I had been at work and returned home to my kids scared and panicking due to the nature of words and actions that had been taking place and I arrived home to me and my kids belongings being thrown out, due to fear I had to relocate, lost all of my belongings( including those of my grandmother who had given me her valuables before her death in Aug of 2020). I had on numerous occasions asked for help in resolving some personal conflict due to my not having income to relocate and the family owning multiple housing and my boyfriend could have stayed somewhere else until I was able to leave but instead was forced out by the family, loss my job , emotionally unstable, currenly without my kids due to no suitable housing, and have endured much pain and longsuffering , relocated, loss of vehicle, mental anguish, panic attacks, etc

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Florida Statute 83.67 (6) provides that:

"A landlord who violates any provision of this section shall be liable to the tenant for actual and consequential damages or 3 months’ rent, whichever is greater, and costs, including attorney’s fees. Subsequent or repeated violations that are not contemporaneous with the initial violation shall be subject to separate awards of damages."

It is likely that your ex-boyfriend's family constitutes a "family" as used in this statute. In addition, they may have committed criminal acts; ask the police if they will prosecute.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.