Circleville, OH asked in Child Support for Florida

Q: Can PR collect child support on a case that was completely paid through FL?

We had a child support case in FL. It is completely paid off (she is 23 now and not in school). FL enforced it and we always paid through FL, now PR says that we owe child support through them. We were never contacted by PR and had no idea that there was a case. We found out because they just now took our tax refund from the IRS. Do we need to get an attorney in PR? Do we just send the case file from FL showing that it’s paid? The ex is willing to help, is there anything that she can do? Thank you for your help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You can start by providing PR with whatever FL documents that you have showing payments and satisfaction. Your ex can prepare an affidavit saying that the child support was paid in full in FL and that they are not requesting anything further. If that does not work then you may need to consult with an attorney in PR. Try to deal with the PR court that issued the child support order first.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.