Staten Island, NY asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: Can I remarry if I obtained greencard thru ex wife

I have a greencard for 10 years i got the greencard thru my first marriage and I'm divorced now and I'm still a permeanant resident can I remarry a foreign spouse is there something called 5 year rule that restricts marriage or its just I need to wait 5 years before sponsering my new spouse in other words can I marry without waiting 5 years and not file the i130

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Wheeling, IL

A: There is no such thing as a "five year rule" to marry another person as you wish. However, you need to naturalize to become a USC in order to petition for your foreign national spouse, provided you marry that person.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.