Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Louisiana

Q: My neighbor has encroached about 1/4 acre of my property. What do I do?

We do not know how to approach them with this. Their carport and all of their yard on the side of their house is my property. Do I offer to sell? Do I need to go ahead and file charges for trespassing? We do have no trespassing signs.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: That appears to be a Boundary Dispute. Hire a LA attorney to search both adjoining owners titles. The common boundary may need a Survey, where the Surveyor would be your prospective witness. Then file suit to Determine the Boundary. This is difficult and expensive, but if you do nothing, you acquiesce to the new boundary.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.