Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Louisiana Land Use & Zoning Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning for Louisiana on

Q: Is there a law in Louisiana that prohibits felons from owning property

My son has 5 felonies and we jointly own a house 50/50. He'll go to jail and stay anywhere from 7 months to 36 months and each time he comes back to my home(his house) he destroys it a little bit more. This time he tried to burn it down around his 86 yr old grandfather and myself. I'm just... Read more »

Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Aug 17, 2019

Felons can own property. You can buy him out.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Environmental, Land Use & Zoning and Municipal Law for Louisiana on

Q: Do I have any recourse or a case?

During heavy rains, the small storm drain in front of my house gets overwhelmed and water backs up indoors. The city cleaned ditches for me once; the next time I contacted them they ignored me. This is not a flood zone at all. This is a miserable situation. Is the city responsible? If not, who? I... Read more »

Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 21, 2019

One option you could try is to contact a member of your local government for your district, maybe a city council member or someone along those lines. If the situation you describe is something that other residents in the vicinity are also experiencing, it's possible that an elected official might... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Land Use & Zoning for Louisiana on

Q: Is living in your vehicle legal in Louisiana?

Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Apr 9, 2019

No that violates municipal statutes.

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Louisiana on

Q: How do we keep neighbors from squatting on land we recently purchased?

We bought 2 acres in St Tammany Parish, LA about 2 yrs ago that the neighbors have “helped themselves” to for several years prior. We can’t keep them off the property (their driveway crosses the property line, they dug a pond that is 80% on our land, and their trampoline and swing set are on... Read more »

Christie Tournet answered on Jun 27, 2018

If your deed and survey show that you own within certain bounds, you can have an attorney send a formal demand, failing which you could also try to file a report of trespass with law enforcement. If the neighbors continue to resist those efforts, you will have no other option than to file suit - a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Louisiana on

Q: In Livingston Parish, if I paid the property taxes on family owned land, can I claim that land and put in my name?

Christie Tournet answered on May 21, 2018

No. Under Louisiana law, property is conveyed only in 1 of 3 ways: by a deed (if someone is still alive), by succession (either by Will, or default state law for distribution of one's estate), or by adverse possession (owning as owner for a certain time period). If you are talking about "family... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Landlord - Tenant for Louisiana on

Q: If my lanlord doesnt fix rodent problem floor damange roof leakage in my home do i have the right to break my lease

We contacted her constantly about it but she makes up excuses we ca here the rodents at night tearing through the walls they jumped on our beds what should i do also my grandchild is almost due

Christie Tournet answered on Dec 29, 2017

Yes. You should always put issue in writing, give a reasonable notice to cure (or time delay provided in the written lease, if one), and if problem goes unfixed, then the Lessor has breached its duty. Lessor also has duty to provide safe, healthy environment, even if other warranties against... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Probate for Louisiana on

Q: My husband’s grandmother passed away and on her will the land she owns goes to her 3 children . One of her 3 children’s

Son has power of attorney . He gave an easement to the neighbor of the land to use the property (fishing) and land maintenance but one of the other co-owners disagree . Since an easement was granted can the other owner who contest forbid the neighbor from entering the property

Christie Tournet answered on Dec 26, 2017

When someone passes away, a power of attorney is no longer effective. The Will controls and all three children of the deceased will subsequently own, as long as all accept the succession. The children need to open succession to effect the change in title from the deceased person's name to their... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning for Louisiana on

Q: Neighbor is running a auto mechanic shop on a residential zoned lot. Sub div covenants prohibit it. What action?

Attempting to sell my house located across street. Way too much vehicular traffic for a rural dead end street. Subduvision covenants classify lots as residentual only. What legal action can be taken. Lots are zoned r1 by the parish.

Christie Tournet answered on Oct 26, 2017

If it is rural, you may not have a property management company enforcing the restrictions. If that is the case, you may still be able to rely upon municipal/parish zoning. If the neighbor is running a business, with traffic, out of a residence, zoning/code enforcement may be able to put a stop to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Louisiana on

Q: I am interested in obtaining a lease on a "land locked" parcel of land (A).

I am interested in obtaining a lease on a "land locked" parcel of land (A). The parcel has another parcel (B) parallel to parcel A that separates it from a public road. Parcel B has a state maintained utility line that transverses both parcels. Does this utility servitude allow legal access to... Read more »

Christie Tournet answered on Sep 18, 2017

I would not assume that a utility servitude should equate to access and the servitude is likely only in favor or the utility company. Pull the land record granting the servitude to confirm its extent and also attempt to contact the owner of parcel B to see what, if anything, you can work out for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Louisiana on

Q: Entergy cut down 2 of my trees on my property without my consent. Should they have obtained my consent prior to cutting?

Christie Tournet answered on Jul 18, 2017

Normally, yes. Funny to see this question pop up, as Investigative Journalist, Lee Zurik, just did a piece on a Parish Government doing something similar (Plaquemines, I believe). Caveats come into play, if there is a prior servitude in Entergy's favor, if a survey actually designates the tree as... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning for Louisiana on

Q: If you build a home in a rural area are there requirements for your water and power sources?

Christie Tournet answered on May 5, 2017

Your permitting department should be able to shed light on this inquiry for you. While the city or parish may not necessarily require that you use a specific source, you will find out if water is provided by the city/parish, or if you need a well and septic tank. Then, if that is the case, you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Civil Rights, Energy, Oil and Gas and Land Use & Zoning for Louisiana on

Q: How much would denied inheritance cost? Where do one even began the research or who shall one contact?

Good Afternoon My father has been deceased for almost 34 yrs. While visiting family, my uncle questioned me about receiving my fathers royalties. I informed him I was unaware of what he was talking about. He began informing me that our family purchased a lot of land and we leased part of the land... Read more »

Douglas Lee Bryan answered on Apr 26, 2017

I would suggest you speak with an attorney as soon as possible. Time delays may apply to limit how far back you can go to collect your father's portion of the royalties. In other words, the longer you wait, the less you may be able to receive in past royalties. As far as cost, attorneys can be... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.