Dallas, TX asked in Family Law and Child Support for Oklahoma

Q: If my child moves back in with the her mother do I still receive back child support payments?

The mother never paid child support for 8 years because she was on drugs and chose other things besides her daughter. There is a court order for child support against the mother. A little over 2 years ago she started seeing my daughter again after my several attempts to get a hold of her. Now my daughter is 13 and decided she wants to live with her mother which is fine. In the past 8 or so years I've received about 500 dollars in child support and the balance on the child support web site is a little over 14,000. Does this back child support go away? I know her mother wont save up for my daughters future and now I'm worried I wont be able to pay child support (since my daughter is living with her mom now) and save for my daughters future. We haven't been back to court to make her the primary parent yet or modified anything its been about a week that she's been living with her mother now.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean
  • Pryor, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: The $14k in back child support will not go away.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.