Melbourne, FL asked in Child Support and Divorce for Florida

Q: Divorce my spouse moved out of state with kids without my consent

My wife moved to Maryland with our two kids without my consent and knowledge. I still provide her with financial support for the sake of the kids. She left Florida on July 11, 2022 (38 Days ago as of August 18, 2022). I would like to file for divorce first and deal with custody issue later. We do talk about the kids, and I recently visited the kids (August 10 through 13, 2022). But I don't see any way we can save the marriage. Should I stop the financial support now or wait until the divorce court hearing? What is best course of action?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Ferrin
Michael Ferrin
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: We would need more information to answer this question. For example, how long has she been out of state as this will have an effect on jurisdiction. It may be best to contact an attorney to discuss your case before proceeding.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.