Eagle, CO asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: If my brother has primary custody of his minor daughter, can he designate POA or does mom automatically get authority?

My brother has primary custody of my 9 year old niece. Her mother lives over an hour away and has standard visitation orders. My mother lives with him and my niece. His question was, if he is incapacitated for any reason, can he designate someone (my self, my mother or my brother) to act on his behalf (POA) and make decisions for my niece, or does her mother automatically get authority and make decisions for my niece.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If your brother is incapacitated for any reason, whomever he wants to make decisions regarding your niece would have to intervene into their current custody case and present to the court why it is in the child's best interest that they are allowed to make decisions regarding your niece, over the Mother.

I hope this information help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.