Orangeburg, SC asked in Divorce, Family Law and Tax Law for South Carolina

Q: Going through divorce. I signed my part on our taxes. He did not. Family law judge court ordered us to file jointly.

I did my part, he did not. Since still married its hurtingt me. I also wasn't able to get child tax credit nor will I anymore due to the fact my soon to be ex husband did not sign so therefore we didn't file our taxes. Court ordered by family law Judge we file jointly. I did my part. He did not. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Megan Hunt Dell
Megan Hunt Dell
  • Charleston, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: If your court order requires the two of you to file jointly, then you could seek to have your ex held in contempt for violating the order. The mechanism to do so is called a Petition for Rule to Show Cause. The procedure is laid out in Family Court Rule 14.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.