Orangeburg, SC asked in Domestic Violence and Family Law for South Carolina

Q: It a dad makes no attempt to see his child in 3 months is that ok by the family court?

Last year before my son and I went into dv shelter. My ex while I was in fl at my parents moved out of our home. Took all his belonging as well as mine. I still haven't got back some things court ordered for him to return. He never told me where he went. He ghosted my son and I for almost 5 weeks. Here recently he made no attempt to see our son for 3 months. It's caused damage to my son and myself in big ways. He was court ordered many things not to do. He has not obeyed anything. He has went to jail 2 times, criminal over what family judge ordered him not to do. What's point of a temporary agreement when one doesn't follow anything? What can I do. I had an attorney but he didn't do NOTHING.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Megan Hunt Dell
Megan Hunt Dell
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Charleston, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: From your question, it's unclear whether you want your ex to visit with your son. I can tell how frustrated you are about dealing with this situation. The only mechanism the Family Court has to compel people to comply with its Orders is to hold them in contempt, and the sanctions for contempt can include a jail sentence. Unfortunately, there are people who are not motivated to avoid going to jail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.