Duncanville, TX asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Texas

Q: Im the primary parent according to my divorce decree, ex wife is trying to change that. Need to defend my self

Per my divorce decree, i have joint conservatorship of my daughter, with me being deemed as the 'primary parent". My ex is trying to change that saying that and filed a motion with the court saying she needs to be the primary parent, due to our child's school grades are not good. She's also saying her hygiene isn't acceptable and send her to school without bathing, etc. Is this grounds for a change in conservatorship? (None of this is true by the way) it's total lies. I have her 50% of the time, she has her 50% of the time. Per my decree i have the right to receive child support if I so choose but I have not excercised that right

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The terms for conservatorship, possession of or access to a child can be changed if the circumstances of the child, or of either parent have materially and substantially changed since the rendition of your divorce decree and the requested modification is in the best interest of the child.|

Allegations like those you describe are common and, if the court finds them to be true, could lead to a change of such terms.

You need a lawyer experienced in family law matters like this to assist you if defending the motion your former spouse has filed. A contested custody case like this can be expensive, so do not be surprised if an attorney requests a substantial retainer to handle this type of matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.