Toccoa, GA asked in Car Accidents for Georgia

Q: My boyfriend was driving my car and was in an accident. He was deemed not at fault but the other guys ins denied claim.

My bf was insured to drive my car. While driving it, he was in an accident. I was not there. He got a speeding ticket based solely on the slide to stop formula and that was the reason stated for the claim being denied even though the report said it was the other guys fault. My bf had liability coverage only on himself, i was not insured and the other guys insurance denied the claim. I am left with a totalled vehicle. Since i had no insurance at the time i cant file with my own company. Do i file a suit against the other driver or both the other driver and my boyfriend? Or do i just cut my losses and sell it for parts?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary Taylor Beck
Zachary Taylor Beck
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Rome, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you have collision coverage, then your insurance should likely pay your property damage claim, regardless of fault. If you have collision coverage (or the equivalent of said coverage), you should make a claim with your insurance company. While the alleged at-fault driver's insurance has denied your claim, you should still hire an attorney to pursue your claim and said attorney could file suit if necessary. Insurance companies routinely deny pre-suit claims by unrepresented parties.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.