Reading, PA asked in Family Law, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I asked a previous question regarding domestic violence and being kicked out of my home. I now live in my grandmothers

Home, that I cared for for years but had to go to a nursing home and she had a reverse mortgage on the home and is now in foreclosure and so I will need to find a place to live or buy the property at forclosure? Is that my only option?

1 Lawyer Answer
David Kennedy Bifulco
David Kennedy Bifulco pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • Bethlehem, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: There are specific rules regarding the purchase/repayment of the reverse mortgage by a family member. If the reason for the foreclosure is that your Grandmother is in a Nursing Home the contract should have provisions that cover this situation. It could be dependent on her status and whether it is temporary or permanent.

Regarding the purchase by a family member, this can be a very difficult process. The first thing you should do is get the loan payoff and then do an initial assessment of the property value. If there is equity in the property after paying off the loan then your next step should be to check if there are any Judgments against your Grandmother that are liens against the property. Without more information I can't provide additional guidance. You should contact an Attorney that has experience in this area and can guide you through the process. Please feel free to contact my office if you wish to engage me for assistance with this matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.