Guymon, OK asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: My fiance' was sentenced to a DOC program in prison.DOC says he dont meet the guidelines for it.So hes just sitting ther

For the past 3 months he's been sitting in a holding cell.Loc ⁸% With no new program offered. And this time spent is not counting for anything. Is this legal.? So how do we go about submitting a MODIFICATION PETITION to the warden for a different program. They saying he wont be released until 2025.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta PRO label
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: I assume here that the sentence was for a set number of years in DOC custody, but the balance is to be suspended upon him successfully completing a certain (type of) program.

I highly encourage you to contact the attorney who represented him at the time of his sentencing. It is possible they did not know that he would not be eligible for the program or that he would not be permitted to go to the facility where the program is offered. DOC may have other programs that might meet the intentions of the parties, but depending on the wording of the Judgment and Sentence, DOC cannot release him if he does not do the specific program. Often times, just some wording changes to the Judgment and Sentence can open up other programs that might be comparable to the one he was originally ordered. It could be some other reason too. Contact the attorney and see if he/she can help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.