Portland, OR asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: I have a renal agency coming after me for money and it has been 2 years and 2 months since I moved out, is this legal?

Apartment in Portland, Oregon. I read OR 12.125 and wondered if this applies to my situation.

1 Lawyer Answer
Katherine Goodman
Katherine Goodman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Short answer is maybe, because without more facts it is difficult to answer your question. It would be important what your former landlord is alleging that you owe them, if you were evicted from the property and a judgment was entered against you which creates a lien, if an accounting statement was sent to you, and additional information about what you mean that a "rental agency is coming after" you. If you have not spoken with a local landlord tenant attorney you should do so. With more information they should have a better idea if your former landlord is barred from bringing claims against you in court.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.