Ferris, TX asked in Education Law for Texas

Q: College says I didn’t go to class on days that I did and now threatening to drop me, if I don’t make up those hours.

I go to hair school in Dallas, part of graduating is having a certain amount of hours under your belt. The school days are 3 times a week 10 hour days. The school called me in the office today and said I had missed 12.5 days and said I couldn’t graduate unless I made them up. I told them I haven’t missed any days and they said they couldn’t do anything about it, and need to make up the days or can’t graduate. Is this legal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: There is a practical and a legal aspect to your question. Legally, they can require that you attend school for a certain number of hours and, in order to get a license to engage in that occupation, the State requires that you do so.

The practical aspect is proving that you did, in fact, attend the required days. The school may require an attendance sheet sign-in or login, or they may have instructors take attendance. You need to ascertain why the school thinks you missed 12.5 days, which days they think you missed, and then go get the evidence to prove that you actually attended school on the days that the school thinks you missed. That might mean getting copies of the attendance sheets you signed or getting sworn affidavits from your instructors verifying your attendance.

Legally, the school is not required to take your word for it if their records reflect that you missed 12.5 days. Legally, they most likely cannot do that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.