Newport, OH asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Ohio

Q: I had a question about visitation without a court order

My daughter's dad didn't want anything to do with her and didn't want anyone to know he had a child with me until there was a court order to prove that she was his now he wants to see her by himself without anyone there for more than a couple of hrs, he has seen her only a total of like 10 to 15 times, I want to give him a couple hrs a day visitation with her until she is use to him, mind you right now there is no court order in place

1 Lawyer Answer
Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Delaware, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: In Ohio, when parents are unmarried, the mother is the residential parent and legal custodian of the minor child until there a court order stating otherwise. The mother has the say if she wishes to grant the Father parenting time. The Father will need to file papers in court to allocate parental rights and responsibilities and to request shared parenting. The mother will also have an opportunity to explain her requests to the court during a court case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.