Indianapolis, IN asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Kentucky

Q: I have POA of my younger sibling. Requesting full custody now and have parents verbal consent. What are our next steps?

I currently have POA of my 6 year old sibling. Our father is incarcerated and his mother is in KY (but illegal immigrant). Neither parent want this child any longer. His mother agreed to relinquish her rights and grant me full custody. She doesn’t speak English and we are trying to establish this transfer of custody without an attorney. What do I need to do first moving forward? File a petition at family court in the county I reside in or where she resides? Who do I need to call at my local courthouse (department)? Do we need anything legal documents prior to going to courthouse together? I am 22 years old and not sure how to go about this the right way. Thank you!

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: File a petition in the county in which you reside.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.