Pharr, TX asked in Contracts and Energy, Oil and Gas for Texas

Q: My mom has solar panels for abt 8 mon and she was told the panels were to produce what show in the light bill

What can we do, is there a way to cancel or terminate. They are paying double now in light bills. Solar panels aren't producing what she was told it was going to produce. Now the company wants her to add more panels and pay more when my mom was told something completely different. She also didn't know the contract had been sign until a week later she called to say she wasn't interested anymore, she was told it was too late she had signed there was nothing more to do

1 Lawyer Answer
Aimee Hess
Aimee Hess
  • Energy, Oil & Gas Law Lawyer
  • Streetman, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: This is becoming a common problem with residential solar systems. Many states will allow a consumer to terminate a transaction if fraud was involved.However, no one can give you specific advice on your mother's rights unless they get a detailed fact statement from her and review the contract and any other paperwork involved in the transaction. She will need to consult with an energy attorney to get an accurate idea of her rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.