Plano, TX asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Texas

Q: What are some free GRANTS for individual senior citizens?

I'm a 59 year old that lost his job this year and my unemployment has run out, and I don't have any savings to live off of. I'm looking at being homeless unless I can find work or money.

I also have disbilities, so I have to work from home, so it's even more difficult finding a remote position that pays enough to make my bills. I also have medications I have to take, two of which must be refridgerated.

There are no city, state, or charities around where I live that help seniors. The very, very few that do help seniors have stupid rules where you have to be evicted before they will help you.

I need rent and utilities help until I can find a job or get back on unemployment next spring. At least unemployment told me I can get it again after 6 months.

I've been looking at philanthropists, but none of them help individuals, only other wealthy companies.

I'm looking at Grants for individual seniors, but dont know anything about them. I need help with finding these!!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Texas attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. I'm sorry for your difficult position. There are online resources for finding grants, but it might be quicker to try to find assistance through public agencies. Grants sometimes carry conditions related to operating as a small business, research, academic, public benefit, etc., whereas some of the public assistance programs could be more straightforward in terms of being need-based. You mention disabilities. One option is to try to arrange a free initial consult with a disability attorney to explore if you're eligible for any benefits based on your level of disability. I hope you find assistance and things take a turn for the better. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.