Brooklyn, NY asked in Real Estate Law for New York

Q: What do I do?

I had given my tenant a non-renewal letter which I unfortunely did not know had to be 3 month prior to her lease end date. I let her know that I am willing for her to stay the extra 3 months that I did not give prior and she answered with "Please contact my lawyer if you have questions for me?" I am also leaving for a week long trip on Friday. What do I do in this situation? Do I get a lawyer, do I also let the tenant know that I will be away for that time? Tenant also stated that I am not renewing her lease due to her nationality, she is assuming that is why I am not renewing her lease. I just did not want to renew. The tenant also made changes that I did not agree upon.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If the property is owned in your individual name, you are not required to retain counsel but would be foolish not to based upon the circumstances you have described.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.