Greensboro, NC asked in Workers' Compensation and Employment Law for North Carolina

Q: Is an injured worker ENTITLED to benefits when his EMPLOYER reduces his/hers work hours due to employees on-going pain.

Is an injured worker, who returned back to work for the past 12 months, ENTITLED to benefits when [he] is still receiving pain management treatment for low back pain, given numerous work restrictions by treating doctor echoing the FCE Test restrictions, the treating doctors work note doesn't indicate a 4 hour work day restriction when released back to work, YET [his] Employer restricts [his] work day to 4 hours because of the ongoing back pain that prevents [him] from completing an 8 hour work day due to a sciatic nerve stretch injury and [his] employer knows about the work restrictions given upon being released from treating doctor.

The defense counsel and the adjuster has taken charge of overseeing all ongoing treatment because my WC case is still ongoing and has not been settled.

Am I entitled to benefits if my employer reduces my hours?

I'm here seeking answers because I don't have a lawyer.



1 Lawyer Answer
David Gantt
David Gantt
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Asheville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Yes, if wages are reduced due to pain problems. Workers' Compensation (WC) compensation to injured workers in North Carolina is based on loss of earning capacity and time out of work as determined by qualified medical professionals. In this case, Tony's employer, not medical staff, has restricted his work. Tony's best action is to talk with his medical team and request their agreement that he cannot work full time. When this medical restriction is documented, Tony would be entitled to receive 66% of his gross wage during the time he was not able to work full time. He would be entitled to be paid up to this 66% level for each week of medically ordered disability. When Tony reaches maximum medical improvement (MMI) or when his doctors can't provide any more helpful treatment, he would be entitled to a settlement be based on the degree of his loss of earning capacity. One of the keys to properly handling WC claims is to make sure the injured worker's medical team is involved in ordering out of work time periods.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.