Beaumont, TX asked in Energy, Oil and Gas and Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: The reservation is a 1/16 in deed but it’s but the land was under mineral lease when it was sold

The reservation is a 1/16 in deed but it’s because the land was under mineral lease when it was sold lessee held 15/16 interest in minerals. I can prove by one property owned at time and we still own had 1/16 conveyance from estates children to their mother because father died intestate and conveyed 1/16 of minerals to mother. Then it was purchased by my aunt and she has 100 % of minerals and get the lease bonuses on property. So what would be the easy way to use this information to establish that we do hold the royalty interest in the other property someone else has been receiving lease bonus on.

1 Lawyer Answer
Aimee Hess
Aimee Hess
  • Energy, Oil & Gas Law Lawyer
  • Streetman, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can try sending copies of everything you have to the oil company by certified mail with a letter asking them to correct the situation. However, don't be surprised if what you send them is not enough to change their mind.

This is probably not a do-it-yourself project. First, it is critical to know what the deed records show as the exact chain of title and current ownership of the mineral interests. You will need a landman or oil and gas attorney to do a formal mineral title search for you. Next, you can review the chain of title and ownership and if you disagree with what is shown, an oil and gas attorney can review with you what your options are under Texas law to correct the situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.