Hatboro, PA asked in Personal Injury for New York

Q: How do I find out if my now former attorney due to his suspension for misconduct settled my case without my knowledge?

I have a suit against the City of New York for 1,000,000 in Supreme court which was filed in 1991. I did meet with the Comptroller and said attorney a few years after the case was filed in supreme Court which was the only thing that was done to my knowledge. This attorney was suspended for misconduct in 2020 and was still posing as my attorney last year telling me that he was retiring and that he was going to give my case to a friend of his for 40+ years which didn't sit well with me. He denied my request for my file on numerous occasions once stating it was a HIPPA violation. If my case was actually settled without my knowledge can he be held responsible and how should I go about it. Thanks in advance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan R. Ratchik
Jonathan R. Ratchik
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You can check the County Clerk's office to see if a Stipulation of Discontinuance was ever filed (which is part and parcel of any settlement). You could also try contacting the Office of the Corporation Counsel (which represents the City of New York in most lawsuits brought against it). Given the age of your case, it's very unlikely that your case was settled without your knowledge. I hate to be the harbinger of bad news but, from what you've described about your lawyer, your case was probably abandoned decades ago. Even if the lawsuit was actually filed, if it the Summons and Complaint was never served on the City within one year, it would be deemed dismissed as a matter of law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.