Cincinnati, OH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: Can a father with shared parenting of a minor give POA to step parent

With the shared parent order, parents were never married. Can father sign a health and education power of attorney to his wife (stepmom) without needing the mothers permission or signature.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Delaware, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: A parent can grant permission for a step parent to handle certain duties and responsibilities concerning their own child. However, issues may arise concerning the minor child if the other parent finds out that their child's opposite parent is relinquishing their duties and responsibilities to a step parent. Also, most medical providers and schools will not accept a power of attorney if there another parent who is legally authorized to make decisions. Medical providers especially are becoming more stringent about this requirement and are now keeping child custody orders on file as to who is allowed to authorize care. Recent laws have been passed concerning this issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.