Hawthorne, NV asked in Child Support and Family Law for Nevada

Q: If my child support was cancelled by the mother in a district court back in 2012 how can they still be taking

I have court papers from the district court saying it was cancelled. Also signed by the mother.but my checks are still garnished etc.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Janice Jacovino
Janice Jacovino
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: The answer to the questions would depend on the what the court papers said.

Did it include past child support, current support, judgements, ect?

Also, while a mother could waive current/ongoing and past child support due to her for the child, she can not waive an amount due to the state (for services) only the money owed to her.

Finally, she could have reapplied for child support.

You should review the paperwork and reach out to the child support department. You call speak to some one in the child support division by calling: (702) 671-9200

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.