Washington, DC asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: In Ohio can a judge refuse to postpone a trial if one party gets a new lawyer?

In a custody battle, my friend has gotten a new lawyer. Her previous one had been caught lying to her. The judge or court has refused to postpone the case, denying the new lawyer a chance to get caught up.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Yes, the judge can do that. The judge might think it is a stalling tactic, or there might have been prior delays. And the Ohio Supreme Court sets deadlines for resolving divorce cases. The new lawyer can appeal, but might have to proceed with the trial on schedule.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.