Newark, NJ asked in Child Support and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: Are there exemptions from paying child support in NJ for persons whom are permanently disabled (brain injury)?

My aunt's husband took a bullet to the head and is now on permanent disability. He is not all there cognitively and he will end up receiving scrap money from disability. They are going to issue a warrant for his arrest and he will absolutely NOT survive if sent to prison. The man is not stable and takes 20 pills a day just to keep him at bay. We need to know if there is a way around this.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: He ( and a guardian on his behalf) need to meet with a family law attorney immediately. Yes, there are provisions in the law to address an individual with legitimate disabilities and presumably, if he is disabled, his child[ren] are receiving benefits as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.