Dundalk, MD asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Maryland

Q: How can I petition terminating guardianship of a minor who was previously a foster child with DSS?

The child was a former foster child and we were granted guardianship of the child. However the child has become extremely unsafe, has several mental health challenges and it's become way more than what we can offer to support them. Where would we go to petition the court, the juvenile court has terminated the jurisdiction on this case and said we need a competent court to address our petition

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You file in the Circuit Court for the county (or City of Baltimore) where you and the child currently resides. However, if the child is no longer under the jurisdiction of the Juvenile Court because he has reached the age of majority (18-21 years old) and has not otherwise been declared mentally incompetent and needing a guardian, it may be that whatever "guardianship" was granted to you has also been terminated by that same aging-out process. If an adult, contact the Adult Protective Services office in your local jurisdiction, and if a juvenile, contact Child Protective Services for advice, or whatever government agency that was involved in placing the child into your care in the first place.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.