Comanche, OK asked in Estate Planning for Oklahoma

Q: If you and your spouse plan on leaving your entire estate to your church, must you leave anything for family?

Is there a law in Oklahoma that you must leave any portion of your estate to family members that are not in the state? Can you leave your entire estate to your church? If you must leave something for married children that live in another state, is there a minimum amount that you must leave?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Chantelle Hickman-Ladd
Chantelle Hickman-Ladd
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: In the state of Oklahoma, your spouse is the only person who can make a claim if you don't leave them an inheritance. However, it is necessary that you specifically reference and/or disinherit your children if you don't want to leave them anything. It's best to work with an estate planning attorney to ensure your estate plan accomplishes your goals.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.