Willimantic, CT asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: My sister and I are about to purchase land in Puerto Rico. All paper work is good and land is clear with the state and

Town. We want to divide the land and register our parcel separately. How can we accomplish this? Can this transaction happen directly from seller to the two new buyers with each buyer claiming their part of the land? Or does it have to be registered under one person and then be separated? Need help…hopefully question is clear.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: The property must be segregated by way of a deed. Although this can be accomplished in the sales deed, you cannot segregate a property without procuring required legal permits beforehand. The quickest, most expedient way I recommend would be for you and your sister purchase the land and register it as a community property with the Puerto Rico Property Registry. Afterwards, you can retain the services of a licensed surveyor or engineer to procure the required government permit. Once these are on hand, you and your sister may grant the segregation deed.

Mind you, if either or both you and your sister are married, your spouses must also appear for the sales deed signing. Unless the funds with which the property is to be purchased are privately owned by either or both, the property to be acquired would be a joint conjugal property and both of your spouses would also be co-owners.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.