Dallas, TX asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: Joint custody after out of state move.

Last year a California Court ordered a joint 50/50 custody "agreement" for our child. I have since moved to another state and am currently waiting on the next mediation and subsequent custody hearing this fall. In the meanwhile I would like our child to go to school with me in the new state so that they can experience the schools here to be better informed of what place best allows them to thrive. Am I allowed to take my child out of California? My ex has had our child for the past two months even though we are supposed to have week on week off custody. Can I pick up our child and enroll them in school in the state I live in for the next two months until the next custody hearing?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It depends on the language of your custody agreement or order. It is typical for there to be a geographic restriction, but that is not always the case. It is typical for there to be language addressing the rights of each parent with respect to education. It may give one parent the sole right to make educational decisions. It may require both parents' consent to change the child to another school or school district.

One downside to moving far away is that it is usually presumed that the parent who moved will pay any increased cost for the other parent to exercise his/her periods of possession. The assumption is that the parent will figure that increased cost into the equation when deciding whether to move even when it involves a job transfer. While the court can make other orders, be prepared to bear the sole cost of airfare so your ex can see your kids.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.