Arlington, TX asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Texas

Q: I have joint managing conservatorship but I’m a non custodial parent do I have the right to know who babysits my child?

The other parent works nights and won’t tell me a thing. I have 50/50 custody. Is that illegal in Texas.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Unless your court order states that you must be notified, the custodial parent is not required to inform you. However, good co-parenting would warrant that the custodial parent would want to inform case anything happens with the child.

Are you concerned about your child's safety while in the care of the babysitter? If so, depending on the validity of the concern, you may have a ground to get

in court before and have language added to your court order that the other parent is required to notify you of the person who's babysitting. That will typically be a mutual requirement.

There is also a concern that the other parent works overnight and they are the custodial parent.

Finally, if you are identified in your court order as a non-custodial parent, then you do not have 50/50 or "equal" custody. Usually when parents have equal custody, neither parent is listed as the custodial (or primary) parent.

It may be worth you speaking with a family law attorney to see what options you have, if any.

I hope this information helps. Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.