Ocala, FL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Florida

Q: how can I protect my new spouse from my child support case in Puerto Rico?

my ex girlfriend may open a child support case on me if she finds out i am newly married. Can my pre nup in Florida protect my new wife from my ex trying to add my new wifes personal income for child support case in Puerto Rico?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The mother of your child cannot force your wife to pay child support in Florida, whether the mother sues in Florida, Puerto Rico, or elsewhere. Child support would be your obligation, not that of your wife. If your ex does file for child support, you and your wife probably should not own property together, such as bank accounts, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.