Q: If someone throws a rock at your car in florida can you legally shoot back?

In florida throwing a rock at someones car is projecting a deadly missile. My question is if someone throws something at your car in a road rage incident that can injure you or your passengers is it legal to shoot back (stand your ground law). I need professional legal advice from someone who knows FLORIDA law no opinion. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Your question is vague as to the timing of the events, as well as the specific danger posed by the rock-thrower. You may "stand your ground" with reasonable force that is necessary for self-defense - that is, to stop an ongoing attack that may cause death or great bodily injury to you. If someone throws one rock at you, and the attack is over, there's nothing to defend against, so any force used thereafter would be a criminal act. But even taking the first example, if someone were to use a firearm against someone who's throwing rocks, the firearm user would be taking a substantial risk of being charged because the force may be viewed as unreasonable under the circumstances. The firearm user might end up beating the rap, but only after going through misery and having a public arrest record - or the firearm user may not beat the rap and be put away for a long time.

Terrence H Thorgaard agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.