Lowell, MA asked in Elder Law for Massachusetts

Q: I was sent a demand letter from my father's Nursing Home Attorney. Demand payment of his balance with a Chapter 109A .

Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act. My dad was a resident at Life Care Center Billerica, MA from May 25, 2021 - July 11, 2022(death). I had him transfer House deed to me and my sister in Sept 2021 recorded on 10/8/2021. His balance is 8,600. I was aware of the balance, however, explained how he has NOTHING in his account to pay. They claim I am responsible for it for being the POA of his Estate. and when I had him transfer his deed I should have paid them first. He never had that kind of money nor do I.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: So, there was a house transfer close to the date of death and includable in the lookback period so that there probably would not have been Medicaid/MassHealth eligibility . Contact a Medicaid specialist on this issue ASAP to present your set of facts to see if there is something recommended at this juncture.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.