Asked in Child Custody for Kentucky

Q: My husband and I gave temporary custody to his brother after our house was lost to a fire.

During that time they began paperwork to adopt my son and daughter. We were not aware of this until after they successfully adopted them. We were homeless trying to get back on our feet and our kids were basically stolen from us. Its been 3 years during which time we have remained in our children's lives. My son will soon be 17 my daughter 12 and they both want to come home. They say they aren't treated well by his brother and his wife. My son has actually ran away and come to us and we had to return him to them. What if anything can we do to get custody back of our children. Thank you for any advice you can give us.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Depending on how long it has been since the adoption, you may be able to go back into the case and have it set aside if you weren’t given notice or served.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.