Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: My wife & filed I130. Her b2 expired while waiting for the receipt of notice. Do we now need to file I485 supplement a?

We had to file I-130 separate from I-485. We now have the I-130 receipt of notice and all other supporting documentation. However, in that time, her b-2 expired. Do we need to file I-485 supplement a along with the I-485? Or are we exempt as this is a spousal sponsorship?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin D. Slattery Esq.
Kevin D. Slattery Esq.
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you, the petitioner, are a U.S. Citizen, then your spouse's B-2 overstay in and of itself is not a disqualifier for adjustment of status purposes. She would not need to file supplement A. Consider, however, scheduling a consultation with a competent and experienced immigration attorney who can screen your/her case for possible issues about which you may be unaware. Ever since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, many attorneys offer online video consultations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.