Grantsville, MD asked in Criminal Law for Maryland

Q: My bf is being held in pa prison due to interstate detainers from md. Who do I contact in md to get him picked up on

These detainers so he doesn’t have to sit longer and can be released

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Maryland has already been informed. The Maryland jurisdiction that wants him has to arrange to send officers to go pick him up. The time can vary based on jurisdiction, available officers, distance to travel, etc. Week to two weeks perhaps. A Maryland attorney retained to represent your boyfriend may be able to call and push things along, or at least confirm the scheduled pick-up date, or even whether Maryland may just decline to come get him (it depends on the nature of the charge). In some cases, where the detainer is for a bench warrant on an charge that is really old, where the prosecutor's office may no longer be as interested in prosecuting the case, it may be possible to resolve the MD charge by way of a dismissal, thereby releasing the detainer. This is more likely for old misdemeanors where the defendant has aleady sat for more time in jail on the detainer than he would have received in MD for the crime.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.