Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Texas

Q: My grand daughter let a person take her mustang with the agreement that they would put it in there name by this week.

Finance co said no to him

I told him I would take the car back he won’t give it to me, the police said it was a civil matter what do i do. It’s still in my name I’m afraid he will wreck it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: She should complete the Texas Motor Vehicle Transfer form located at:

and submit it to the Texas DMV.

You mention a " finance co." Obviously, if your granddaughter still owes money to a finance company based on a loan made to her, she will remain liable on that loan until she has paid it off and should do so immediately. Transferring a motor vehicle with a lien against it to another person is potentially a crime (e.g. hindering a secured creditor) as well as almost certainly being a breach of her loan agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.