Brookhaven, MS asked in Child Support for Mississippi

Q: If my children want to be emancipated to help me get off child support what are my options?

My daughter is 19 and my son is 22 i still have to pay child support to they mom, my children live together in Iowa I live in Mississippi and my children's mom lives in Florida my children get no support from their mom. My children have been living on they own for 1 and 1/2 years now. My son is going into the US Air Force next month and my daughter works everyday. I have about $800 in arrears and I'm hoping you can give me some advice to help my situation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: Because your children are living independently from your ex-wife and your son is over 21, you should petition the court immediately to stop the child support and grant you credits toward any arrearage for the months that they have been living separately from her. They will not do this automatically because your daughter is 19. You have to take steps to stop it through the court system.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.