Asked in Employment Law for Louisiana

Q: If the business that I managed was purchased by another owner, can they pay me less or change my position without consen

I work as a manager and mechanic at an auto shop; the new owners are not willing to pay me my current rate to do a different job, or match my pay through other means. Do I have any options? I was not informed by the previous owner that I was to be expecting a change of ownership or pay, and was due a raise at the end of the year.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Do you have a contract and what does the contract say? If you do not have a contract then you are considered an at will employee and as such the (new) employer can dictate the terms as long as it does not violate the law. Should you have specific questions, and/or if you have a contact, then I suggest that you contact a labor/employment attorney for a specific consult.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.