Dallas, TX asked in Education Law for Texas

Q: Do colleges have to support SGAs financially and if so how much money do they need to provide?

I am the Parliamentarian for Dallas College Richland Campus and we have a financial problem with our college, they are not providing us enough money so that we may do stuff for students on campus and actually make changes, every time we ask them they shrug us off, can we as SGA sue them or demand a certain sum for our SGA, because we have 7 diffrent campuses and we only have 85k to SHARE among eachother. That money is used for trips, booking, lodging, food, etc...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Each year, a portion of a college's student activity fee is allocated to SGA. This is not intended to be the sole source of funding as SGAs are expected to hold their own fund-raising activities throughout the year. Before taking legal action, you need to check to determine whether the $85,000 being allocated represents an accurate calculation of the SGA's share of the student activity fee.

If you were to sue, the next question is how would you fund such a lawsuit? Is there a wealthy benefactor involved, or would you be funding such litigation out of your own pocket? Are there limitations on student organizations suing the college? Is there a risk that the college will simply discontinue SGA?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.