Lakeport, CA asked in Real Estate Law, Land Use & Zoning and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: How can I remove a squatter from my uninhabitable garage?

I have someone squatting in my garage, it is not habitable. I told her she could rent the space to do online Webcam but that she couldn't live there, she's now been living in it for a month. This is a code enforcement issue, she's also doing drugs, has I violent dog, and has physically assaulted me, and broke a window out of my house in the process. I can't afford to go to court to evict her, so I need a legal alternative solution.

Since she's squatting in there anyways can I wait until she's gone and "move in" with her to annoy her out? Since its not wired correctly and it might be a fire risk, can I shut off the electricity going to my garage? Can I chain my gate open so her dog will run off? Can I do loud construction on the outside of it during normal business hours? Since it's not habitable can I call code enforcement to remove her? What are my alternative legal options?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Illegal evictions are not allowed in California. You must go through the proper channels to obtain an eviction. That being said, the tenancy itself is illegal due to the garage not being a habitable structure.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.