New Orleans, LA asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Louisiana

Q: I lived temporarily in New Orleans for 4 months with my minor child and her home state is NY, can I get case transferee?

I was served by her father who is a New Orleans domicile seeking joint custody and to establish paternity also he is not on the birth certificate. I moved my daughter her temporarily (4 months) and her home state is in New York (10 months). Can I have the case transferred or dismissed even though the court of new Orleans stated that I am domicile to the state and has jurisdiction over my minor child and I. Also am I able to move back to New York with out going through the court since I am not a resident of New Orleans?

1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan
  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You really need to speak with a Louisiana attorney who handles custody matters. There's a lot of additional information the lawyer would need to know to answer the question, such as where the child was born and when the petition was filed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.